Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Long Run


Saturdays are my "long run" days.  Ran 5.03 miles today!

I always hated running.  I've always been slow, so that may be why.  Back when I started Couch to 5K in June, I could barely run 60 seconds.  I was out of breath and felt like my legs were 500 pounds each!  But I kept with it.  It's really a battle of the mind.  Your body *can* do it, you just have to get over that mental hurdle!

I'm slowly beginning to love running.  It's such a great stress reliever.  And with 5 small children, it's the only time of day I can get out of the house, *alone*, and run in SILENCE!  Ohhh it's so nice! 

One of the biggest motivators to keep me lacing up the shoes each day is training for races!  Yes, I'm slow.  Yes, I will never win.  But I'm motivated to run these distances that I have never been able to before.  I am motivated to beat my own personal times.  I'm motivated to reach my personal best!

Part of this training involves a long run.  I'm building slowly, and my "long" run now is 5 miles. (For slow me, that's over an hour of non-stop running!)  To some people, that is their short and easy run!  :)  The long run builds your endurance so that you are able to run shorter distances faster. 

My very first 5K race is next Saturday.  I'm excited!  I'm shooting for 35 minutes or less.  Yeah, yeah, I already mentioned I am slow!  But I don't care, I'll be trying my best and that's all that matters! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...