Sunday, September 11, 2011

My First 5K

Yesterday I ran my very first 5K race.  It was a big accomplishment, seeing as how I could hardly run for 60 seconds just a few months ago!!

On Friday I went to pick up my packet, got my goodie bag, and my *first ever* race shirt.  Yes, I'm a nerd.  :)



I took two entire rest days before in order to be well rested and feeling good.  On Saturday morning, I got up, had coffee and breakfast, fed the baby, and then left the kids with my husband to go for registration! 

After registering, I still had 45 minutes until race time, so I hung in my car for a bit checking Facebook on my phone and things, LOL.  As it got closer to race time, I thought I'd eat some Gu for a burst of energy but EWWWW.  It's like eating toothpaste.  (I need fruit chews!!)  So I spit that out... haha

Then it was race time.  It was a small race, maybe 50 people?  We lined up, and off we went!  I *tried* to keep my normal pace.  But halfway through I realized I had been going a little faster than my normal.  (Because I was TIRED!!) 

Hubby was parked in the middle of the course with the kids and took this stalker pic of me.  I'm in the pink shirt and black shorts.


Since I was going faster than my normal, my brain kept telling me "WALK!  WALK!"  But I told my brain, "NO!" and kept going! 

I finally got around to the finish line, and an older guy that had been run/walking the whole course was in front of me.  I was determined not to let someone that had WALKED beat me, so I did a final kick and passed him!  I went across the finish line and the timer said 33:08.  I was happy!  I was shooting for under 35 minutes... the only other time I've timed myself running 5k I ran it in 39 minutes.  So 33 was GREAT for me!

Here I am with my kids after the race... we were facing the sun so none of us can see, hahaha



I was feeling a little sick afterwards and had to sit awhile... I really pushed myself and hadn't done that since high school!

Soon afterwards there was the kids race.  My oldest, Kaydence finished third behind two older boys, and she was in jeans and flip-flops!  Hmmm, new sport maybe??  ;)



I almost didn't stay for the awards, but the kids wanted their face painted and wanted to play on the moon bounce, so I did. 

So guess my total surprise when they called my name for 2nd place in the 25-29 female division!  Eeeek!


I'm not quite sure how many 25-29s there were, but I at least know I beat the lady in third place!  Hahaha  :) 

All in all it was a great time!  Makes me want to go run some more!  Racing is a great way to stay motivated!

Now thinking of doing the half-marathon for the Oklahoma Memorial next April...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...