Sunday, September 4, 2011

Losing Weight While Breastfeeding



My youngest is three months old, and is breastfed.  I hope to breastfeed at least a year, and until she wants to wean. 

This means I have to be careful while dieting to not let my supply drop.  Breastfeeding burns an extra 200-500 calories a day.  If I eat too little, or do not hydrate well enough, that can affect my supply!  The good news is, is that I can eat a little extra and get away with it!  Heehee

This also means I must eat *well*.  No liquid diets.  No juice fasts.  No celebrity crash diets.  I must eat real food in order to provide the nutrients that my baby needs.

And also no crazy supplements.  No fat burners, no pre-workout energy boost powders, etc.  No one is sure of the safety with those when it comes to breastmilk, and I like to play it on the safe side!

So yes, my weight loss will go a little slower than it would if I could take more drastic measures if I wasn't breastfeeding.  But I can deal with it if it means the best for my baby.  :)

To learn more about breastfeeding while losing weight, my favorite breastfeeding source, KellyMom, has tons of info on this issue HERE.

Happy breastfeeding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...